Accounting / Office Manager
The Accounting / Office Manager will assist the General Manager and the Board of Trustees in effectively
executing their fiduciary responsibilities in managing the financial resources of the Association. The
Accounting / Office Manager will be primarily responsible for all business functions of the Association
including the creation of an annual operating budget, income and expense management, financial reporting,
and the creation and monitoring of internal control and accountability policies. This position will report to
the General Manager and the Association Treasurer and will build and preserve the financial strength
necessary to support the objectives of the Association for both the short and long term. The Association
serves our approximately 500 household members and is a private 501-C 7 non-profit corporation for tax
Position Type and Expected Hours:
- This is a full/part-time position.
- This position reports directly to the General Manager
- Monday-Friday and some weekend availability are necessary to accommodate our members and events.
- No remote work
Duties and Responsibilities
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Develop and recommend to the General Manager and Board of Trustees an annual operating budget for the Association.
- Analyze the income and expense flows of the Association and make recommendations on adjustments to annual dues, dock, clubhouse, pavilion, shopping center rental, and all other revenue rates charged to the membership and shopping center lessees.
- Monitor adherence to the Board approved budget.
- Set long-range financial goals and develop strategies to achieve them.
- Develop multi-year operating budgets and financial projections that integrate strategic plan objectives and initiatives.
- Ensure that the Association maintains adequate working capital and cash reserves and maintains funds to provide for the replacement of Association assets.
- Maintain an accurate detailed inventory of all Fixed Assets. Audit at least once per year or as deemed necessary by the General Manager and or Board of Trustees.
- Create, approve, and update as needed internal control policies and procedures that help ensure the assets of the Association are protected.
- Ensure that financial transactions are documented, and daily activity is logged, recorded, and reconciled.
- Ensure that all internal control procedures are consistently followed
- Assist the General Manager with the negotiation of long-term contracts or leases, maintaining lines of credit, ensuring proper internet use and computer security, creating annual and long-term capital expenditures budgets, and ensuring the Association maintains proper record retention.
- Ensure the integrity and usefulness of the financial reports created for and provided to the Board of Trustees and the Membership.
- Provide sufficient detail to guide financial decisions and clearly communicate the Association’s overall financial and cash position to the Board of Trustees.
- Create detailed variance reports which explain significant differences between budgets and actual results.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and other legal or regulatory requirements of the Association including but not limited to the filing of the Annual IRS Form 990, and that all employment and other taxes are filed timely and paid.
- Perform monthly reconciliations of all Association cash accounts and report any significant variances or out-of-balance occurrences to the General Manager and Treasurer.
- Monitor the Association’s invested funds and ensure that all investments are consistent with the guidelines in the Investment Policy approved by the Board.
- With the assistance of an accounting firm selected by the Board of Trustees, create the annual financial statements presented to the Membership at the Association’s Annual Meeting.
- Ensure that all occupied rental units have current leases in place and monitor tenants’ compliance with any and all requirements to provide liability insurance as required in their lease.
- Assist customers/members with reservations and questions
- Answer the phones if the GM or secretary are unavailable
- When the General Manager is absent, the account manager should assume the GM’s responsibilities.
Required skills, abilities and competencies:
- A very strong understanding of accounting, financial statements, P and L reports
- Analytical Thinking: Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving abilities are essential
- Attention to Detail
- Outstanding Communication Skills: Clear and concise language for all ages, active listening while showing genuine interest, empathy, and respect
- Technology Proficient: QuickBooks, Excel Spreadsheets, and other financial management tools
- Adaptability: Accounting and Lake operations continuously evolve
- Strong Sense of Community: Willingness to help and support all the members of the community, build trust, and personal connections
- Ability to focus and prioritize
- Ability to compile and interpret financial data to monitor adherence to goals and objectives set by the Board.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associate Degree in accounting or a similar field
- Possess relevant work experience in accounting and business management in a similar role
Compensation: In addition to our beautiful lake environment, we offer Competitive Pay and Bonuses based on accomplished goals and objectives.
How to Apply
Applicants are asked to email an introductory letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org